Monday, May 4, 2009

TOY LAW

1
How was I supposed to know there was a law.
The Bad Samaritan law?
Whose bright idea was that?
He should be here in this cell: not me.
He beat his wife: not me.
He endangered his own child: not me.
All I did was listen.
All I did was…all I did was witness a crime.
I didn’t do anything.

Victoria?

Are you okay, Victoria?

Is Genesis okay?

I heard her crying: I heard her, Victoria.
I wanted to pick her up.
I wanted to…




2
Door’s open!
I’ll be right there!
I just got out of the shower!
Did you bring Henry Weinhart?
The game’s on ESPN!
Damn!

Hey, can you turn up the volume? I can’t hear it in here!

Victoria?
What did he accuse you of this time?

Did you burn his dinner?

Forget to do his laundry?
You didn’t iron his shirts?

Hey, can you turn it up? I still can’t hear anything?

Come on, Victoria. Strike back.
Matt?—I think that your name—didn’t anyone tell you that you don’t hit a girl?
We don’t hit women.

Damn!

There’s my wallet

Did someone forget that bit of information?
Where were you when that lesson was being learned by everybody else?

You must have thought they said trains when they passed out brains.

Damn you!
Victoria?
Hang in there.

Hey! Get me a glass and some ice!
Thanks!





3
I didn’t hear anything?
did you?

Are you sure?
No, I didn’t hear anything.
Where did you put the remote?

Hamm! That hits the spot!

Which game is this?
The Lakers-Celtics game should be up in about ten minutes.

I didn’t hear anything.

Victoria?
Genesis?

God damn you, Matt.

Nothing. I didn’t say anything.


4
I’m not a bad person.
I pay my bills.
I pay my taxes.
I keep to myself. Most of the time, anyway.
I want to throw something. But everything’s nailed down.
Damn!

Someone came by an hour ago.

I don’t need a public defender: I didn’t do anything wrong!
Fuck!
I never laid a hand on him.
I never even spoke to him.

Make me! Come on,: make me shut up!
Fuck you!
I’m fucking innocent!

5
Victoria’s here?
Where’s Genesis?
I’ll have to ask her.

I wish I could wash my face at least. Shave, maybe.
Don’t want to look like Matt.

6
What the hell was she mad about?
I didn’t do anything.
I did not do any thing, Victoria.
How can I be guilty of doing nothing?
People do it every day.

I feel like in a cage.
I’m in a cage, and the zoo visitors are all staring at me.
I think they should experience life from this side.

God, you look awful, Victoria.
Why did you come, anyway?
Shouldn’t you wait until the marks fade?
Shouldn’t you cover up your bruises?
Makeup: you should wear makeup?
Shouldn’t you?
I think you should.
Hey, do you know who won the game?

What are you so mad at?

Shouldn’t You take it out on Matt? He’s the one who putt those marks on your face, on your arms?

He didn’t touch Genesis, did he?

Thank God..

7
Hey! Did you put the beer in the fridge?
I’ve got the pretzels.

What do you mean?

You called the police?
On me?

Here. Here’s your beer!
Get out!

Copyright © 2009 print@LARGE

No comments:

Post a Comment