Thursday, March 18, 2010

SO CLOSE

Have you ever had a thought,

And had it ripped from you

When someone else speaks up

With your idea, your dream,

Your contribution in a conversation?

“So close,” some say,

“how he knows what she

Will say before she does.”

It comes with the years.

It comes with the fears--

Anticipating responses to prevent

Progress in a conversation.

I know, because I’ve listened.

She knows, because she paid attention.

We zig/I zag

And words go unsaid.

Nobody knotces.

But we know. We--

Know.

Years of stories,

Histories,

Exchanged,

Repeated

Time after time.

The days’ routines

Repeated,

Repeated

Day after month

After year, after decade

Until we know--

We know all there is to know--

We think--and so, this shorthand

Of stepping on words,

Trampling sentences

To interject,

Participate in the storytelling.

“And she said--

No, I think she said--

And She did--

Can you believe what he did? It

Blew me away.

But I interject,

And she shakes her head.


COPYRIGHT (C) 2010 BY THE AUTHOR

No comments:

Post a Comment