Saturday, May 1, 2010

EXCHANGE


She was here--

I just know it.

It isn’t the scent of her perfume,

But the arrangement of molecules,

The electricity-that remains for hours,

Days, years.

Her pets are no longer here.

Her clothes have been packed

And shipped.

She left in a hurry,

But I know--I just know--

She was here.

The nick knacks are missing,

The collage of life has been transferred

To an unknown place.

But she was here.

And now, I suppose,

Someone will know

That I’ve been here too.

Traces--

I leave traces

Of myself

Wherever I go--

I can’t help it:

My scent,

My aura,

Dead skin cells,

My hair, my footprint,

My fingerprint

Rearranges,

Breaks up the pattern

Of protons and electrons.

My confidence,

My sorrows,

My joys--

They announce that

I’ve been here--

There--anywhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment