Wednesday, July 13, 2011

HOW DOES THIS GARDEN GROW



I want to

Plant stones,

And have flowers spring

To life in every color

Stolen from the rainbow.

Do the leprechauns know

That their gold is now exposed?

Beneath the stones

I plant, where seeds

Slough off,

Life awaits.

Without stones,

Where will I find fire?

Without fire, how do I stay warm?

Cook food?

Sterilize my implements?

Without rainbows,

Where will artists flock

To gather visions

From the muses?

Where flowers grow,

Stones gather--

Names carved deep,

Final messages written

Stones from flowers/

Flowers to stones--

Life discarded

By the faithful

For the future-perfect,

Life dislodged from its pedestal,

And shattering,

Giving birth

To small stones--

Seeds of all kinds,

All colors,

Genus--

There is no such thing

As a weed

Arising from this soil.

Wildflowers only

How does this garden grow?


Copyright (c) 2011 by the author

No comments:

Post a Comment