Thursday, August 18, 2011

STRANGERS OF FRIENDS

So, yes, I burned

The bridge some twenty

Paces back,

No regret,

Without hesitation.

Anger, mixed with

Despair allowed me

To wash my hands,

Clean of a score

Of years of memory.

The links--

Once golden,

And highly prized--

Are covered with dust,

Consumed by

Cobwebs

Of silence.

I knew what

I was doing,

With an evening’s

Anger still in my head,

Simmering for hours--

Too hot to touch.

When I left,

When I lit the match

And watched the flame

Greedily devour all

Secrets, unbreakable

Bonds

That would forever

Separate me

From a childhood friend.

We weren’t kids

Anymore. We were

Building diverging

Lives where

There would be no

Spare room,

No empty chair,

No place to sleep,

Or talk

Until dawn.

Strangers, once, we

Are strangers once again.

Copyright © 2011 by the author

No comments:

Post a Comment