Sunday, December 30, 2012

DIGITAL


DIGITAL



who has digitized me
has reduced me to
a bar code, 
a string of numbers
telling of my physical location--the street
number, the apartment number,
the suite number
zip plus four:
come find me.
come touch me if you dare.
come speak to me
Area code (XXX)  has changed, again,
changed again.
the physical location, too, has changed
without the burden of ownership.
wherever i travel, I am trailed by nine digits
that prove my eligibility for so many things:
citizenship, of course,
right to work,
right to be taxed,
right to be traced--endlessly
pursued by marketers 
intent on convincing me
that I need what they have to sell.
with sixteen digits embossed in plastic,
rewritten in magnetic patterns,
i purchase my daily bread, 
my freedom to travel,
my daily clutter that
consumes so much energy,
time and talents.

Copyright (c) 2012 by the author

No comments:

Post a Comment