Wednesday, September 11, 2013

HONEY




At roughly the same time each day
the barking begins, the call to play.
Anyone can answer, go outside,
grab a ball--any ball will do--
in Honey's mind.  There is only play.
Knowing to the inch how far to throw
the ball, how high to bounce against
the wall, the metal door of the garage,
off the dog-house, the picnic table.
I change the trajectory, forcing 
Honey to watch my hands. When the ball leaves
me behind, she jumps, she runs--sometimes she catches,
sometimes the orange and blue orb
eludes her, skitters into bushes,
drops magically into the water bowl.
(Two points, please!) 
We can do this for hours. Honey never tires,
it seems. Her focus, her enthusiasm
never flags. With ball in hand,
I have her full attention.
 If only she obeyed when no ball
was in sight. at least, for now,
she sits, she waits patiently,
trusting that I'll throw the ball.
Yellow whirlwind, tail wagging,
Honey throws her whole being
into whatever the game might be.
And when I lose track, Honey confidently
hunts under and around any obstacles
just to keep the game going.  She knows
my blindness.  when I bend,  hands on
knees, she knows to stop running in circles
and brings me the ball.
and I know, by the sound of her breathing,
the time she takes to retrieve the ball,
when her energy is almost spent.
I say,"I'm done." And Honey heads inside
without protest.  Maybe she thinks
later we can play some more.

Copyright (c) 2013 by the author

No comments:

Post a Comment