Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I have power






Thank God

For the words

That keep

My blood

And bone

Safely contained

Within my skin.

Words on the page

Are equivalent

To a cut

Intentionally inflicted.

When the words

Won’t come,

This is when I am afraid.

Without language

To spill onto the page,

All my insecurities

Race back

And forth

Between

Brain and fingers

In search of

An exit.

Words--

His words--

Free me

From my demons,

From my hatreds,

From my loves,

From my hurts.

September 30, 2010, the last

Infliction,

My last relapse,

My last raising

Of questions

For which I had

No answer.


A public act

On the bus

On my way home





After my first class.

Why?

How?

No hiding--

I wore a sleeveless dress,

Cut myself on my shoulder

With my house-key.

I found blood--

I saw red--but

Was unsatisfied,

Uncalmed,

Unimpressed.

And so,

I stopped

Though the reasons

Haven’t changed,

The impulse still comes,

The emotions still rise.

“Leave me alone: I am

Enjoying this day,

This life,

This choice.

Leave me alone.”

And the demons--

They listen.

I do have power.


Copyright (c) 2011 by the author

No comments:

Post a Comment